Friday, June 1, 2012

How does Nelly Furtado make Cassano cry?

For me the songs of the big tournaments are very important. When I hear those songs years after the actual championship I still connect memories to them. For example when I hear Waka Waka by Shakira it always reminds me the summer of 2010, and not only the World Cup...


To listen to the official song of the Euro 2012 by Oceana check a previous post, but now we start to go back in time.



The next year is 2008 and and so on. I'm sure there'll be some you know, but not from a World Cup or Euro.


Euro 2008 - Enrique Iglesias - Can You Hear Me
Kind of a party song. I think it doesn't really fit the event.


Euro 2004 - Nelly Furtado - Força (Cassano isn't here yet)
She is Portugese, so the song is at least related to the host country. I like it!

Euro 2000 - E-Type - Campione
No, the famous chant "Campeones, Campeones, Olé, Olé, Olé" is not taken from this song. (By the way it was first sang by the supporters of Real Sociedad in 1982.) This won't be my favorite I think...

Euro 1996 -  Baddiel, Lightning Seed & Skinner - Three Lions 
Not really impartial, but a nice song. Especially if you support England...

Euro 1992 - Towe Jaarnek & Peter Jöback - More Than A Game

I wouldn't say it's bad, but it might be boring after 2 minutes.


I know it's a Euro this year, but let's take a look at some of the best World Cup songs too.

2010 - Shakira - Waka Waka


2006 - Il Divo - The Time Of Our Lives

2002 - Anastacia - Boom


1998 - Ricky Martin - La Copa de la Vida


So you probably don't really understand the title of this post. As I mentioned before, these songs remind me certain memories and emotions. When I hear even the name of Nelly Furtado, I see Antonio Cassano in tears after scoring the winner against Bulgaria, that finally didn't mean anything. Like it was yesterday...

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when hearing these songs? Which one is your favorite?

Share

[Get Float Buttons]